Monday, November 1, 2021

 Longing and Belonging


Dealing with being alone and facing my own longings is full of potholes and hurdles - especially in this world where we are dealing with Covid.  

Its not that I fear being alone - I just don't like it. I am not one of those made for a solitary existence. I am also not looking to replace what has been lost. There is no replacing Chance. He is at the heart of nearly everything I do or think about. I do not need a new mate. What I do need is some company. Company of other people who maybe share an interest in art, in writing...in walking, in dogs...in, umm LIFE. 

I am trying to get into better shape. I have been looking for another person to walk with for several weeks now. It sounds so simple, doesn't it? I like the idea of having someone else to walk with and talk with. So appealing. As a woman out walking on my own it is a challenge. Men can be such assholes to women - and if you are a man you might be surprised by some of the things other men have said to me while I am out on my own walking.

I walk my dogs - but dog walking is not the same. For starters, we don't have conversations unless you count me telling them to stay and not pull on the leash while I pick up their poop. Walking without stopping is not possible or very enjoyable for my dogs and what I need is a good old fashioned get going and straight ahead walk.

Belonging is a human need. It seems to be more challenging to find that place of belonging as we age. Particularly when family lives far away or are quite busy with their own lives. I don't have any answers here. I will keep swinging for the fences but it is not easy. 

My furry buddies.

Chance walking one of the dogs caught on Google Maps.




No comments:

Post a Comment